- Ayer Annual1
- Publish day: Thursday
- Content: independent
- Established: 1908?
- Pages: 8
- Size: 15 x 22
- Editor: Dan Cloud
- Publisher: Dan Cloud
- Frequency: weekly
- Unique ids
- SN: sn 88085445
- OCLC: ocm17398139
- Substitute title, not digitized in this grant cycle
- 1908-1922 (6 reels)
NEH Approved Essay
Lynden Tribune (LCCN: sn88085445)
Washington State Library
The town of Lynden is situated near the Canadian border in northwest Washington State. The Nooksack Indians dominated this area prior to the 1870s. English and Scandinavian settlers incorporated the city in 1891, but an economic depression caused the population to drop significantly by 1900. At this time, Dutch immigrants started arriving in Lynden, attracted by the area's potential for dairy farming. Most were members of the Christian Reformed Church and formed a closely-knit community-within-a-community. The town is still known for its Dutch-influenced culture.
The first issue of the Lynden Tribune
was published on June 9, 1908, by Charles D. Jones and H. E. Stuart. The pair had purchased the equipment and subscription list of the Lynden Sun-pilot
[LCCN: sn88087026]. By 1909 the Tribune
had been purchased by Dan Cloud, former editor of the Tacoma Daily News
[LCCN: sn86072044] and future owner of the Montesano Vidette
[LCCN: sn87093197]. On October 19, 1911, Herman Rosenzweig became the proprietor of the Tribune
after Cloud fell ill. In October of 1914, Sol H. Lewis took ownership of the paper. Lewis was among the first graduates of the University of Washington’s journalism program. After graduation, he taught journalism at the University of Kansas for two years, then went to New York City in 1913 to join the staff of the World
[LCCN: sn86079138]. Dissatisfied with city life, he jumped at the chance to purchase the Lynden Tribune
. Under his leadership, the paper became quite successful. Lewis became known regionally and nationally for his "Parsnip Corners" radio program and newspaper column in which he shared his witty "country editor's" perspective on a variety of subjects. The Tribune
became a family enterprise. Sol Lewis’s wife Aimee Michelson Lewis was a syndicated home economics columnist in fourteen West Coast weekly papers. Sons Julian and William took over the paper after Sol's death in 1953. Julian's son Michael has been the editor of the paper since 1992. The Lynden Tribune is still published today.
History of Lynden:
town incorporated 1891
Pioneer Press 1888-1900
Pacific Pilot was 2nd paper. 1902 WH Towner
Then: Lynden Sun-Pilot
Then: Lynden Tribune. June 9 1908, by Charles D Jones, editor, and HE Stuart, Business manager. The two bought the Sun-Pilot.
1909 paper is purchased by Dan Cloud. Dan Cloud had worked at the Tacoma daily news.
On Oct 19, 1911 Paper is purchased by H. Rosenzweig.
Oct. 16 1914 Sol H. Lewis buys paper. Edits and publishes until death in 1953. Sons William and Julian Lewis continued publishing the paper. Julian's son Michael Lewis became editor of the paper in 1992.
Town of Lynden demographics
Nooksack Tribe. English and Scandinavian settlers. Economic depression in early 20th century: population drops from 1000 to 200. Dutch begin to move into Lynden. English/Scandinavians politically dominant until the 1940s. Christian Reformed Church.
- N.W. Ayer & Son's American newspaper annual -- 1910 -- 921
- NDNP Candidate Title List (Appendix A1.2)
- Chronicling America record (LOC) - Lynden Tribune
- WorldCat record - Lynden Tribune
- WSL record - Lynden Tribune
- UW record - Lynden Tribune
- A history of Lynden by Ed Nelson
- Sage of the Crossroads (Sol Lewis Biography)
- Historylink article on Lynden
- Filmed by: UW
- Positives held by: UW and WSL
- Negatives held by: UW
- UW neg holdings: 1908-1996
e.g. Significant for its location on the U.S.-Canadian border
- pearson, 2008/10/14 16:11
See The Lynden tribune eval spreadsheets (Google)